Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Yorkshire Three Peaks in Aid of The Royal Marsden - Oak Youth Centre

The Connaught & Calthorpe School's - Three Peaks Team
This weekend just gone, an amazing bunch of people set off on a long trek into the peaks of Yorkshire, in order to complete the three peaks challenge in aid of The Oak Youth Centre at The Royal Marsden, Sutton. For anyone who doesn't know the three peaks challenge, the aim is to climb three peaks in under 12 hours - sure, it may sound simple but there is an awful lot of training, hard work and dedication required in order to complete this tremendous challenge, not to mention the pace that the hikers have to walk at is admirable and is made harder by the uneven terrain and the varying gradients.

I used to go to The Connaught School and I know from friends who have previously completed this challenge the year before how hard it is and what sort of training has to be done, in fact the school pupils and staff members who do the challenge are trained by: Warrant Officer 1, Jon Knight, who is currently serving in the armed forces and I am absolutely certain that he does nothing less than beast them each session in order to prepare them for the challenge both physically and mentally. The team this year did the challenge in 10 hours and 37 minutes, smashing the time which was achieved last year! That just goes to show how hard these guys and girls trained and how well they worked together as a team. The beauty of this whole thing is that the people involved have made new friends, got some exercise and discipline whilst raising a whole lot of money (almost £4000 so far!!) for a cause very close to my heart.

My former teacher Mark Coates asked me to pick the charity this year and so I chose 'The Oak Youth Centre' which is part of the Royal Marsden hospital in Sutton. This centre does an absolutely amazing job in caring for tiny little children to teenagers up to 24 years old. Throughout my treatment I have seen countless children and teenagers being treated by all the amazing nurses in this brilliant, state of the art facility, I thought that I had such brilliant treatment at this place and that if I could help money be raised for any charity then it would be this one, so that other children and young adults could be treated just as well and if not better. These brave little kids fighting cancer deserve the best of the best so this charity is close to my heart because nothing tugs on my heart strings more than seeing innocent little children battling cancer and if any money can be raised then in my eyes it should go towards these little Champions.



The students doing the three peaks have seen a powerpoint that I put together for the Calthorpe school in order to inform them of cancer and why they were raising money for the RM, I have had a lot of feedback and they all said how hard it him them and how it inspired them. If I can do other things like this, such as presentations, public speaking or fundraising events then I would love to. I feel it's important to help out those facing hard times in life, like so many people have helped me and my family - the guys from A.R.D. in particular. But I also think it is so important to inform others about cancer and what it can do and ultimately how to try and face it and deal with it.

The guys from Connaught and Calthorpe have done something fantastic, they have raised an incredible amount of money and have given up their own time and effort to do so. If you would like to donate to their effort and help improve things even further at the Oak Youth Centre then please donate to the following link: http://www.justgiving.com/CC3YP - these guys have already raised an awesome amount, but even more would be great!

Brilliant work to all the guys and girls from Connaught and Calthorpe, a big thanks to Mark Coates and Steve Jones for keeping me up to date and involved with the whole process. Brilliant job guys, those little Champions will be eternally thankful and so am I.

Connaught & Calthorpe Champions!

http://www.justgiving.com/CC3YP 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Tyler,much appreciated. Was an absolutely amazing challenge to be part of, definately one of the best and hardest things I have ever done,would do it again! Everything done was for a brilliant cause.
    Tiffany Lee
    Connaught year 11

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tiffany! Great work yet again and I'm glad this whole experience has been good for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off-topic: I found this Limited Quantity Manny Pacquiao Signed Everlast Gloves at the Official Manny Pacquiao website. A must have!

    ReplyDelete