Wednesday, 24 July 2013

The Dreams We Have As Children

This post is named after my favourite band: Oasis and one of their (in my opinion) best songs 'Fade Away' in which they sing the lyrics 'the dreams we have as children fade away' - now I looked at these lyrics and related myself and my current situation to them (as I do with a lot of lyrics recently), and I broke it down into two little segments:

1) 'The dreams we have as children' - This part of the lyrics is referring to my own dreams, such as becoming a World Champion. Now, I could be and I am sometimes classed as a child, however, I have had this dream since I was about 14 so this is a dream I had as a child and still have now. When listening to this song I always think of my dream of becoming a World Champion and remind myself of all the reasons why I want to achieve it and what I have done so far to help me, as well as how much it means to me and how much it would mean to achieve such a feat. This part of the song helps me to remember, think about, visualise and re-enforce my dreams and their importance to me and my life - these dreams are the things that keep me going and fuel my desire to keep fighting. So, when I'm listening to 'Oasis - Fade Away' this is what I'm thinking about - achieving my childhood dreams.


2) '...fade away' - This part of the lyrics could be seen as quite negative as it is saying that the dreams we have as children, fade away. However, I use these two words to re-enforce my desire to achieve my dreams and not let them fade into the distance. I always find a lot of people say to me "Oh yeah, I could have done/been good at this... but I decided not to because I couldn't be bothered/I was too busy messing around" and that's something I can't stand, I could not bare to be one of these people who says "I could have been" - I want to achieve something with my life and I refuse to just give up like so many people have done, and continue to do. My opinion is that life is a gift, life is precious, so why not make the most of it and achieve something amazing? Too many people let their dreams 'fade away' not enough people chase them down and pursue them!
In regards to what I was saying about life being precious, here is a quote that my coach Andre once shared with the guys at the club: 

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present."

I think it's a great quote! It also sums up what I was saying about life being a gift.

Anyway, I guess the moral of this post is to chase your dreams, and not let them fade away, because there will be no bigger regret than not giving your all to try and achieve a dream if it means that much to you. I have certainly had a lot of setbacks recently in the pursuit of my dreams, but I am not giving up and I still believe that I can do it, so if I can achieve my dreams or at least give it my best shot, then so can you. Live your life to the fullest and chase your dreams. Dreams can become a reality.



No comments:

Post a Comment